The Beach Hut

The Beach Hut

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Forever Elvis

I know, you wondered how long it would be before I wrote about Elvis Presley.  Well this is my 4th entry and here we are.  I’m prompted to write about Elvis following a recent theatre visit to see Rock ‘n’ Roll Heaven.  What a show!  Buddy Holly, Del Shannon, Roy Orbison, Eddie Cochran, Rick Nelson and Elvis Presley all on stage together.  Believe it or not I’m actually a little young to be an Elvis fan.  Most of the audience were a good 10 years older than me, but that didn’t stop them dancing in the aisles as if they were still 17.  

My introduction to Elvis came at the tender age of three when my parents took me to see GI Blues, Elvis’ first film after coming out of the army and his transformation into the All American Boy from the hip-swivelling young rocker so hated by American parents in the 1950’s.  My abiding memory of that film is the scene where Elvis sings Wooden Heart at the puppet show, indeed that was the first record I owned – I think it was a Christmas present a few years later.   

Over the years I saw all the movies, bought all the records, joined the fan club and read everything I could get my hands on with even the briefest mention of Elvis.  All through the 70's I would go into record shops and make sure the Elvis records were at the front of each section.

In the late 60’s The Monkees appeared on the scene and Elvis took a bit of a back seat for a few years.  I rather liked Mickey Dolenz, the drummer; I’m completely cured of that crush, however, since Mickey failed to appear in Hairspray earlier this year.  I’d booked specifically to see Mickey in the role of Wilbur Turnblad – but that night he was on The One Show and his understudy took his place on stage.   

Elvis, however, has never disappointed.  He’s forever tall, dark and handsome, his voice always perfect.  And if I go to see Rock ‘n’ Roll Heaven he’ll always be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment