The Beach Hut

The Beach Hut

Sunday 16 September 2012

Bacon sandwiches


My husband and sons follow the Muslim faith and, while they don't follow all the rules strictly, they don’t eat pork.  This means that it’s easier for us all to never have pork in the house and when we eat out although I may eat sausages or bacon or ribs (yummy!) the rest of the family never do.  It’s not just a matter of not having pork or pork products on their plate, no pork must have been cooked with the utensils used to cook their food. 

This issue has caused some funny, some embarrassing and some very awkward moments.  Here are some examples:

Chinese restaurant
Me: “Does this special fried rice have any pork in it?”
Waitress: “No.  Just peas and ham.”

Market stall
Me: “Do these chicken sausages have any pork in them?”
Stallholder: “Only the skins.”
Me: “Pardon?”
Stallholder: “ONLY THE SKINS.”

Beach cafe in Corfu this summer
Me: “We’d like to share a pizza please.   We’d like all the toppings but no ham.”
Waitress: “No ham?”
Me: “That’s right.  Tomato, mushroom, onion, pepper but no ham.”
Waitress: “ok, no ham.”
She returns proudly carrying a large pizza for two to share and my heart sinks as she places it carefully on the table between me and my husband.
Waitress: “No ham.  Bacon!”
He settled for a Greek Salad and I had way more pizza than I really wanted!  

No comments:

Post a Comment