The Beach Hut

The Beach Hut

Sunday 29 September 2013

Writing Group Homework

I have been attending a writing group for four years now and I thought some of my readers might be interested in the writing exercises we do.  This is September’s homework assignment:

Integrate dialogue with some kind of action – give the characters something to do whilst they talk. To get you in the mood, think of cafĂ© or restaurant scenes, or driving in a car – immediately I think of films and how rarely dialogue exchanges are static – the characters are also eating or getting dressed or watching TV or preparing food , etc, etc.  Make a list of activities a character or characters might be doing as they talk, about 10-12 activities. Pick one and write a dialogue exchange, remembering to integrate your character’s dialogue with the action.

If you’d like to see my own effort you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment